A highly flexible Laravel 5.x scraper package.
Scavenger provides the following features and more out of the box.
- Ease of use
- Scavenger is super-easy to configure. Simple publish the config file and set your targets.
- Scrape data from multiple sources at once.
- Convert scraped data into useable Laravel model objects.
- eg. You may scrape an article and have it converted into an object of your choice and saved in your database. Immediately available to your viewers.
- You can easily perform one or more operations to each property of any scraped entity.
- eg. You may call a paraphrase service from a model or package of your choice on data attributes before saving them to your database.
- Data integrity constraints
- Scavanger uses a hashing algorithm of your choice to maintain data integrity. This hash is used to ensure that one scrap (source article) is not converted to multiple output objects (model duplicates).
- Console Command
- Once scavenger is configured, a simple artisan command launches the seeker. Since this is a console command it is more efficient and timeouts are less likely to occur.
- Artisan command:
php artisan scavenger:seek
- Schedule ready
- Scavenger can easily be set to scrape on a schedule. Hence, creating a someone autonomous website is super easy!
- Scavenger can be used to flexibly scrape Search Engine Result Pages.
NB: As of version 2.2.0 raw HTML is scraped by default for each target key (attribute), excluding the reserved
\ReliQArts\Scavenger\Services\Scanner::cleanText() method is provided, and can be used as a preprocess method for attributes needed as pure text.
//... // modify attributes by calling functions 'preprocess' => [ // strip all HTML within title and provide clean, simple text 'title' => ['\ReliQArts\Scavenger\Services\Scanner', 'cleanText'], ], //...
The following words may appear in this documentation.
Daemon: User instance to be used by the scavenger service.
Scrap: Scraped data before being converted to the target object.
Target: Configured source-model mapping for a single entity.
Target Object: Eloquent model object to be generated from scrap.
Major Third-Party Libraries
This package is heavily inspired by and dependent on the Guzzle library, although several concepts may have been adjusted.